Thor's Cave Adventure: March 8th (Friday)
A breath-taking view that has to been experienced!
Hidden away amongst the magnificent rolling hills of the White Peak, this natural cavern, is set in a steep limestone crag. It's legend and name link it to the Norse God, Thor. It's entrance fittingly boasts a huge arch that frames fabulous scenery out over the national park - the gateway you would expect to home of a hammer-wielding god, associated with thunder, lightening and fertility.
Easily visible on approach from the footpath below, the cave has provided evidence of human occupation during the Stone Age, from 11,000 years ago; being used well into the Iron Age and even Roman Period. Findings include stone tools, pottery, amber beads and bronzes, as well as being the burial site of numerous people.
Wetton Hill & The Manifold Valley
See if your arrival is met by a clap of THUNDER!
- 11am meet in Wetton
- Waterproofs, warm layers, walking boots, packed lunch essential.
- Dogs welcome, but with leads and there are styles to negotiate.
ADD TRANSPORT FROM OXFORDSHIRE FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU ABOVE.
- A WHATSAPP group will be created to share info and photos on the day. In signing up to the event you are agreeing to be added to this group, which will contain other participants. This is necessary so that details can be shared in the run up to the event, including last minute changes, reminders or cancellations.
- Charity involvement: many of our walks are being run in partnership with charities. As such, sign up information is shared with the charity involved for the purpose of running the event and communicating its purpose, which is to help raise awareness and funds for the charity. By signing up, you are agreeing to receive information from Get Outdoors and the charity.
- Remember waterproofs, walking boots/shoes and a packed lunch & water.
- Please note you may need to pay for parking.
- Dogs are not permitted on this event, due to accommodation restrictions.
- Please keep to the indicated public rights of way and respect the landowner’s property at all times.
- There are often stiles to negotiate on this type of walk.
- Countryside walking can often include hills and uneven terrain. Our group ethos is to support everyone in group to achieve their maximum potential in terms of completing the route. As such, we endeavour to walk at a pace all participants are comfortable with. We apologise if this causes any frustration to fitter walkers.
- Please consult your doctor if you are at all worried about your fitness and ability to take part.
- Please inform the walk leaders, Get Outdoors, of any underlying health conditions that may affect your walking ability before signing up.
We need a few more details from everyone, so we know how best to look after you. Once you have booked your walk above, please follow this link and complete some simple questions ASAP: Applicant Information Form
Future Walk Info:
"Like" the Get Outdoors Facebook Group and submit your email address below to receive information on future walks.
Join us for a hike in beautiful places like the Brecon Beacons, Cotswolds, Malverns, Chilterns, Oxford...
Perfect way to start your training for a challenge like the 3 Peaks or simply to get out into the countryside, while being sociable.