The Edgehill Escape: May 27th
£7 will go towards running the event, the remainder of your sign up fee will go to support the charity. You can choose how much to donate by selecting from the menu above.
One of our favourite charities, which "provides support for children, young people and their families in Oxfordshire when they have been bereaved or when somebody close to them is terminally ill."
From Battlefield to Castle Inn
A little later than Remembrance weekend this year, we would like you to join a walk in remembering those who have fallen for us.
On a 9.5 mile circular route we climb Edge Hill, an escarpment that towers above the surrounding countryside, which gave its name to the first battle of the English Civil War, in which it was a prominent feature.
The Battle of Edgehill was fought near Edge Hill and Kineton in southern Warwickshire on Sunday, 23 October 1642. All attempts at constitutional compromise between King Charles and Parliament broke down early in 1642. Both the King and Parliament raised large armies to gain their way by force of arms.
We take in some of the areas history by visiting the Hook Norton Brewery's Castle Inn, an old turreted building now used as a public house, that looks out from a magnificent viewpoint.
- 9:45am meet, prompt 10am start.
- The green in Hornton, OX15 6BZ
- Approximately 9.5miles.
- Expected duration 5+hours.
- Leader: Sharon meet our leaders
- A WHATSAPP group will be created to share info and photos on the day, so once signed up, please send an email to grant permission to be added to: email@example.com
- Remember waterproofs, walking boots/shoes and a packed lunch & water.
- Dogs are welcome, but are entirely the owner's responsibility and must have a lead and be under close control at all times.
- If encountering livestock do not walk too close or get between a cow and calf. If threatened, let go of your dog so it can escape and reduce the risk to yourself.
- Please keep to the indicated public rights of way and respect the landowner’s property at all times.
- There are often styles to negotiate on this type of walk.
- Countryside walking can often include hills and uneven terrain. Our group ethos is to support everyone in group to achieve their maximum potential in terms of completing the route. As such, we endeavour to walk at a pace all participants are comfortable with. We apologise if this causes any frustration to fitter walkers.
- Please consult your doctor if you are at all worried about your fitness and ability to take part.
- Please inform the walk leaders, Get Outdoors, of any underlying health conditions that may affect your walking ability before signing up.
We need a few more details from everyone, so we know how best to look after you. Once you have booked your walk above, please follow this link and complete some simple questions ASAP: Applicant Information Form
Sign up for Future Walk Info:
"Like" the Get Outdoors Facebook Group for the latest walking dates.
Submit your email address below to receive reminders and information on walks we have coming up.
Join us for a hike in beautiful places like the Brecon Beacons, Cotswolds, Malverns, Chilterns, Peak District and Oxford. The perfect way to start your training for a challenge like a 3 Peaks or simply to get out into the countryside, while being sociable.
We only regret the opportunities we don't take...