Pen y Fan & Waterfalls (Pace): March 11th-12th
SATURDAY: Waterfall Country (Brecon Beacons)
We start the day meeting at Pontneddfechan for a 5 mile stroll along the Elidir Trail, to take in the waterfalls of Sgwd Gwladus, Sgwd y Bedol, Sgwd Ddwli Isaf and Sgwd Ddwli Uchaf. Depending on recent rainfall and depth of the water, we will be able to cross in front of some, swim beneath others and even walk behind one or two on this truly incredible walk.
Depending how the day is going we can extend this by a further 3 miles to also visit the 2 even larger waterfalls of Sgwd Isaf Clun-gwyn and walk behind Sgwd yr Eira.
Time permitting, we then take a short drive to Henrhyd Falls, the highest in South Wales, with a single drop of over 90ft. Formed at the end of the last Ice Age, millions of years ago, it was famously used as the entrance to the Bat Cave in the Dark Knight Rises movie and you can actually walk behind it!
- 11:30am outside the Angel Hotel, Glynneath, SA11 5NR.
- Free parking in the layby as you approach the Angel.
- Arrive early to secure a parking space.
- Public toilets at the start of the walk.
SUNDAY: Pen y Fan Horseshoe
We are really pleased you are joining us to tackle the highest peak in South Wales. Its summit stands at 886m; offering beautiful views for miles. The horseshoe route is just over 9miles long and will take around 6 hours. An early start sees us meet in the Brecon Beacon's Taf Fechan Forest and the walk begins with the steepest climb of the day. We continue with a more restful flatter ridge for around an hour, before heading up to the first of our 4 summits, Corn Du. On a clear day, we start to take in the most magical view for miles, towering over the surrounding Welsh countryside.
After Corn Du, we drop a little, before climbing to our highest point, the impressive summit of Pen y Fan at 886m. A great place to stop for lunch, while enjoying the view on a nice day.
We continue around this circular horseshoe route with a quick descent before climbing once more to the top of the next peak, Cribyn. As we look back, the views of Pen y Fan's steep face arching around behind us is one of the most iconic in the Brecon Beacons.
Finally walkers have the option of either taking a well earned rest or tackling the shorter sharp out and back ascent of Fan-y-Big. This final peak is the home of the famous "Diving Board", from which the brave can take some impressively daring pictures!
- 9am meet outside The Red Cow, Pontsticill, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 2UN.
- We will then travel in convoy to Neuadd Car Park, Talybont-on-Usk, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 2UT.
- Please meet Get Outdoors when you arrive at the far end of the car park and check-in again at the finish. The group will be led all the way, but would like to make sure everyone gets home safely.
- Take a comfort break on the way; no toilets in the car park or on the walk.
Free parking, but we need to arrive early to secure parking spaces.
- A WhatsApp group will be set up to share info and photos. Please send a quick email with permission to add you to the group: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transport: please car share where possible, as parking is limited and for the good of the environment. Transport available from OX5 1RR leaving at 8:30am on the Saturday and returning around 8pm Sunday. This can be added to your booking above.
- Kit: Packed lunches, walking boots, multiple layers and waterproofs (including trousers!) are essential. The weather could be very cold and wet. Please visit our recommended kit list.
- While on the walk: we ask you to remain with the group and following instructions from Get Outdoors leader(s), who have the final decision in all instances.
- Dogs: are welcome, but with animals grazing be prepared to use a lead.
- Problems: on the day call Chris: 07885157903
Health & Safety Application Form:
If you haven't already (or if personal circumstances have changed), please complete the applicant health & safety form at this link, so we know how best to look after you.
For help arranging accommodation during your event and/or to stay in the same place as the main group, please email: email@example.com with the following info:
1. Event & location
2. Dates of the nights you require
3. Single, Double or Twin room
4. Whether you are happy to share a room/property with other members of the group and if you would like to specify that person(s)
If you plan to arrange your own accommodation, but wish to book transport with Get Outdoors, please email us with the location before booking.
We only regret the opportunities we don't take...
Sign up for future walk info:
Submit your email address below to receive information on future walks.
Join us for a hike in beautiful places like the Brecon Beacons, Cotswolds, Malverns, Chilterns, Peak District, Oxford...
Perfect way to start your training for a challenge like the 3 Peaks or simply to get out into the countryside, while being sociable.
Please "Like" the Get Outdoors Facebook Group for even more updates!